Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A PIECE OF HISTORY REVEALED BY APRIL DIERKING

A PIECE OF HISTORY REVEALED BY APRIL DIERKING - First published on February 7, 2001 in Clear Creek Courant

In the Jan. 31 edition of the Courant, Einar Jensen published "The future of our past..."

My Grandmother Josephine Tavenner's house was one of the houses featured in his story.
1204 Colorado Blvd. in Idaho Springs, Colorado


E. M. Wiley built the house at 1204 Colorado Blvd. in 1897. The first occupants were Sam and Augusta Smith in 1901.

The house hasn't changed much from the outside since then. A wrought iron fence surrounds the front yard and front yard steps that the picture in the article fails to show.

My grandparents, George and Josephine Tavenner bought the house from Lawrence D. and Fern Stone in 1970. Previous owners include George and Carol B. Patterson, who owned the house before the Stones.

I was six years old when I first stepped into the large five-bedroom home. My fondest memories are of being with my grandmother in that house. My sister, Shannon and I used to sing into a tape recorder in the kitchen. My grandmother has kept all of the tapes that we made.

Streamers hang in the attic from some party long before my grandparents bought the century-old house. The wallpaper in the dining room is original. The chandeliers that compliment the main floor are original, as is the lead-glass window next to the interior staircase.

My children enjoy the same pleasures about the house that I grew up with. I believe they even spend more time in the house than I ever did.

Every summer my grandmother lines the front steps with petunias. My children and I help her buy, plant, and sometimes water the blooming flowers.

All of us in our family realize what a piece of history the grand house is. We hope that a hundred years from now, the future owners will realize
it is as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment